“You don’t have to go to church to be a Christian.”
“There is no salvation outside of the church.”
“Apart from the church, my life would not make any sense.”
If this were a multiple choice test, which statement would you choose to describe the church? Would you be looking for a fourth option? None of the above? Or, would you rather fill in the blank with something all together different?
Given that the subject of “the church” is often loaded with assumptions, misunderstanding and personal hurt, it would be wise to take a careful look at what the Scriptures themselves say on the matter. For, if we allow our subjective experience, personal preferences or assumptions shape our understanding of what the church is and ought to be, we may end up with a version of church that is far from God’s intention and all together unbiblical. This is why we will be devoting the next eight weeks to the subject of “the church” on our Sunday morning gatherings. If the church really is “the household of God“ as Ephesians says, it would warrant that we, God’s people, give our attention to what God says about his own house. Why does it exist? What does he want it to look like? How do the members of this house relate to each other? How should this household relate to those outside the house?
Each of these questions are critical for us to answer if we hope be a compelling community of believers who disciple one another, exhibit genuine love and care for one another, and display the glory of God to a watching world. It is for this reason we ought to be able to say, “Apart from the church, my life would not make any sense.”
Sermon Series Schedule: The Church - The Household of God
- January 8 - What is the church? (Ephesians 2:19-21)
- January 15 - Who does the church belong to? (Colossians 1:15-18)
- January 22 - Who is responsible for the church? (Matthew 18:15-20)
- January 29 - What are the elders of a church? (1 Peter 5:1-4, 1 Timothy 3:1-7)
- February 5 - What are the deacons of a church? (1Timothy 3:8-13, Acts 6:1-7)
- February 12 - What is baptism? (Matthew 28:19-20)
- February 19 - What is the Lord’s Supper? (1 Corinthians 11:17-32)
- February 26 - What is a healthy church? (Ephesians 4:11-16)