“Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. “ – 1 Corinthians 12:27
Redeemer Community Church holds its members in high regard, and for good reason. The church exists as an outpost of the Kingdom of God, demonstrating the renewal Jesus will ultimately bring through the establishment of His rule. As members, we live as ambassadors for Christ and representatives of His Kingdom. Therefore, membership is the process in which the local church:
- affirms the profession of faith of the individual member and their declaration of being a citizen of Christ's Kingdom
- gives oversight to that individual's discipleship through care and exhortation
- and the individual member formally submits their discipleship to the service and authority of this body and its leadership
Ultimately, membership is a commitment to the local church that we will honor each other as we covenant to care for one another, committing to each others spiritual development under the leadership and care of the local elders. Membership is a recognition that as disciples of Jesus we cannot watch ourselves by ourselves. We need a community of believers committed to Jesus and to each other.
The membership process at Redeemer Community Church is simple yet thorough. We simply want to assess two things:
- Are you a Christian?
- Do you understand what it means to be joyfully committed to and function as a healthy member of this particular local church?
To help aid us along this path, our membership process involves 4 steps:
- Attend the membership course
- Complete and submit an application for membership
- Be interviewed by an elder
- Be presented to the congregation and commissioned for ministry in the church